Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Classics Spin #3

In an unscheduled interruption to my countdown of my favourite 50 books from childhood, I’m going to take part the first Classics Club spin since I joined a little while.  The principle appears to be quite simple – I list twenty books from my Classics Club list, they post a random number from one to twenty and, in August and September I have to read whichever book on my list the number corresponds to.
So, without more ado, here is my spin list:

1.   Fantômas – Marcel Allain & Pierre Souvestre
2.   The Thirty Nine Steps - John Buchan (reread)
3.   Rashomon – Akutagawa Ryunosuke
4.   The Trial – Franz Kafka
5.   Chaka the Zulu – Thomas Mofolo
6.   The Good Soldier Svejk – Jaroslav Hasek
7.   The Sword of Honour trilogy – Evelyn Waugh (reread)
8.   Berlin Alexanderplatz – Alfred Döblin
9.   Mr Norris Changes Trains – Christopher Isherwood
10.   Keep the Aspidistra Flying – George Orwell
11.   Rebecca – Daphne du Maurier
12.   The Power and the Glory – Graham Greene
13.   Catch-22 – Joseph Heller
14.   The Master and Margarita – Mikhail Bulgakov (reread)
15.   Interview with a Vampire – Anne Rice
16.   The Twelve Caesars – Suetonius
17.   The Complete Short Stories – Saki
18.   The Old Devils – Kingsley Amis
19.   The Voyage of Argo – Apollonius of Rhodes
20.   Any Old Iron – Antony Burgess


Let’s see what comes up on the wheel tomorrow!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Yours is easily the most wide-ranging list I've read for the spin, in terms of time & space (across history and the world). I'm not joining the spin, but it's always interesting to see what number comes up and what people end up with. I'm also enjoying your children's lists though I haven't commented yet.

Falaise said...

Lisa - Thanks for the comment! I've pulled out the Trial as the Spin book. I enjoyed the Metamorphosis so hopefully I'll like this too.