Wednesday, August 19, 2015

2,214: The Samurai Inheritance by James Douglas

I do have a bit of a penchant for thrillers that revolve around the hunting down of historical secrets or artefacts and so I was pre-disposed to enjoy The Samurai Inheritance.  It is, I believe, the fourth in a series of thrillers featuring art recovery expert, Jamie Saintclaire, although it is the first in the series that I have read.

In this instalment, Saintclaire is hired by an Australian mining magnate  to track down the preserved, shrunken head of a warrior from Bougainville, one of the Solomon Islands, which, somehow is alleged to have ended up in a German museum.  Despite the assignment being a world away from his usual diet of finding Old Masters and other artworks, Saintclaire accepts the assignment.  Being led to Tokyo in the company of an attractive museum curator, Saintclaire's quest gets entangled with a mystery surrounding the death in 1943 of Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, architect of the attack on Pearl Harbour.  All roads lead to Bougainville and a hidden war in the jungle.

The Samurai Inheritance is a Ronseal book - it does exactly what it says on the tin.  Fast-paced with plenty of continent-spanning action, a plausible hero, some love interest, a World War II connection  and a devious villain, it's a page turner that won't disappoint a thriller reader who picks it up in a bookshop or the library.

Equally, it's unlikely to convert non-thriller fans and it's not one of those books that lasts long in the memory.  It was a fun read and, if I saw one of the other books in the series in a shop when I was looking for something to read, I'd probably buy it but I wouldn't go hunting one down.

Overall, it's a good, solid thriller for fans of the genre and none the worse for that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post! This is a very nice that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post.
Balls Rugby Flick free games!
Fishing and Lines the best games online!
Blob Giant 3D Game Free games online!
Ducklings.io free games online!

Anonymous said...

Your posts are my cup of tea. I'm interested in your articles. I always read them everyday and wait for incoming ones. It's because your posts are interesting.


To thank for your post, I invite you visit my website to play game guys: Parking slot game or Pac man classic game to relax
My blog spot: Blog spot adventure game | Y8 games blog spot

Scarlet Wilson said...

I really like your posts. I wander on the internet to find something new or unique. And I see your articles. I decided to linger at your site and read more and more. I hope that you can upload new posts. I will be the first one to read them. Thanks a million!
abcya3 free games| wheely 3 abcya | abcya skibidi games | abcya halloween
Last week's hot games:
Halloween Makeup Trends game | Join Skibidi Clash 3D game | Stickman vs Skibidi Toilet game